Subject and Theme of Photos
Photos of weather, water, and climate from the subtle to the extreme; think clouds, waves, storms, and other atmospheric, oceanic, or hydrologic conditions.
Members choice: $500
Complimentary AMS Weather Band Membership to all winners
- Digital photography only; no prints will be accepted.
- Images should be in a horizontal (“landscape”) format at a minimum 4000×3000 pixels.
- All photographs should accurately reflect the subject matter and the scene as it appeared. Photos that have been digitally altered beyond standard optimization may not be entered.
- Digital images should be in JPG format, and may not exceed the size limit of 5 MB.
- Photographs with text added may not be entered.
- AMS reserves the right to color correct and/or crop photo entries if necessary.
- By submitting photos to the American Meteorological Society (AMS) Weather Band photo contest, participants agree to indemnify, defend, and hold harmless AMS, its respective subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, employees, attorneys, agents, and representatives, from any and all third party liability for any injuries, losses, claims, actions, demands, or damages of any kind arising from or in connection with the photo contest (collectively, “Losses”), including without limitation any third party claim for copyright infringement or a violation of an individual’s right to privacy and/or publicity right. The photo contest is void where prohibited by law.
- Photos are being accepted starting Monday, 31 May, and must be received by Friday, 20 August 2021, at 5:00pm EDT to be eligible for the contest.
- Winners will be announced during the week of 22 November 2021 and contacted via email.
- Four winning photos will be chosen— one first, second, and third place photos selected by the judges, and one photo selected by AMS Weather Band members, selected by active members of the AMS Weather Band.
- Prizes include 1st: $500, 2nd: $300, 3rd: $200, Members choice: $500 and complimentary Weather Band membership to all winners
- The contest is open to the public, employees of AMS, and AMS members and volunteers. Amateur or professional photographers are welcome.
- Entrants must be 13 years old or older.
- A maximum of three (3) photos can be submitted per person. Each photo submitted must be under 5 MB.
- Although you retain the copyrights of photos submitted to AMS, you are assigning AMS the nonexclusive right to publish or use them, including modification, in current and subsequent print or digital formats for any purpose without compensation, notification, or permission. Attribution will be given whenever possible. You represent that you own all copyrights to your submitted materials.
- A judging committee chosen by AMS will select the winning photos. Entries will be judged based on appeal, content, and photographic skill. Results are final.